Question from the Bold Living Today Community
What productivity strategy should I use to set myself up for success as I pursue my 2020 goals?
The Ivy Lee Method
Back in 1918, Charles M. Schwab ran the Bethlehem Steel Corporation. Being a bold-thinker, he wanted to improve his productivity.
History suggests Schwab met with Ivy Lee.
Schwab asked Lee for guidance on getting more stuff done.
Lee told Schwab to try his (Lee’s) customized method for three months.
So, what is the Ivy Lee Method?
It’s the act of prioritizing your to-do list by focusing on the most important things you must accomplish each day.
Here are the steps.
1. When your day ends, write down the six most important things you need to do the next day.
2. Rank the items in order from most important to least.
3. When the next day arrives, direct your focus to the first task on your list. Work on this task until it’s complete.
4. Then move on to the next.
5. Continue these steps as you work through your list.
6. Any items left over at the end of the day, move to the list for the next day.
This is a big reason I love the bullet journaling format.
Bold pro tip:
Do not add more than six items onto your list. Stay focused on each item until you’ve completed them.
Productivity Level: Easy
This process should only take you a few minutes each evening to plan your list for the next day.
It can be challenging to stick to your list and not getting distracted.
Concentrating on a list of six prioritized items can be tough, but setting time limits can reduce anxiety and improve focus.
Be clear about resources you will need and how you will pace yourself as you go about this.
It’s not a race so take your time.
Remember - you get one additional day for boldness in 2020.
Check out these tools and resources.