I'm calling today my "refresh Friday" because Wednesday was a doozy and I needed to take all of Thursday off.
This morning I was up early meditating, doing my daily writing (not my best work today), and answering questions from the Bold Living Community.
I appreciate that people reach out - and trust me with their successes and painful moments.
2020 has been a non-stop onslaught of change, pain, sifting through info, constantly adjusting, winning, pivoting...and so much more.
It's difficult to stay hopeful, creative, productive, and assured when you feel like you can't catch your breath.
I get that.
I have felt that.
I spend a lot of time recalibrating - because I'm worth it and nobody is taking my joy.
Here is a round-up of some of my responses to people who reached out to me for support, encouragement, and a soft place to land.
1. There is no reward for sitting in your suffering - even though these systems would have us believe this. You're not required to smile through the pain even though we've been taught that it's the "adult thing to do".
2. If you feel like it's killing your spirit - let it go. You don't have to explain yourself. Your self-approval is enough.
3. Your positionality, your story, and your experiences as a Black person are not to be questioned. You're not responsible to soothe the discomfort of others when you check them on their racism.
4. Protect your joy. Take time off and away as needed. Rest, refuel, and refocus. Fighting for our humanity is painful - but you don't need to operate from that pain point all day, every day.
5. Remember your power and connect that with your pleasure. Seek out people and spaces that provide strength, nourishment, and effective resources.
How have you been taking care of yourself?
What tools and resources are you using for support?
Download this tool to support your inner wellness.